The suspension of the Ph.D. programme is allowed for a period of up to 1 year. In such a case, the Ph.D. student will be admitted to the same year of the Ph.D. programme in the following academic year. Suspension is allowed in one of the following cases:
- parental leave
- serious and documented illness
- probation period for recruitment by a Public Administration with a permanent contract
- Civil Service
If the duration of the suspension exceeds 30 days, the scholarship is suspended.
The suspension request must be sent to the Ph.D. Office (Ufficio Dottorati, Post Laurea, Esami di Stato), which will send it to the Board of Lecturers for its approval. The months of suspension will be made up (including the payment of eventual scholarship rates) at the end of the Ph.D. programme, so that the overall duration of the Ph.D. programme will be the same for all Ph.D. students i.e. 36 months.
In case of renunciation i.e. withdrawal from the Ph.D. programme, the Ph.D. student must inform the Ph.D. Office (Ufficio Dottorati, Post Laurea, Esami di Stato), one month in advance. The scholarship is granted until the date in which the withdrawal request is submitted.
Forfeiture (loss of the Ph.D. Student Status)
Forfeiture is decided by the Board of Lecturers in the following cases:
- negative evaluation by the Board itself at the annual verification of the activities carried out by the Ph.D. student
- unjustified and prolonged absences
- behaviours in contrast with the incompatibility norms